Tuesday 3 June 2014

A nod to the 90's.







Mesh Jumper - River Island (past season), Skirt - Topshop, Watch - Marc by Marc Jacobs, Midi Ring - Primark, Ring - Pandora, Bracelets - Primark, Clutch Bag, River Island, Choker - ASOS, Boots - Ebay (JC Lita Lookalikes)


So, I had a bit of a moment in work the other day and decided to finally buy into the ombre franchise that's been hanging around the fashion world for a good few years now. There's something about dip-dye that makes me somewhat nostalgic to summers gone by...maybe it's the memory of all the cool kids in primary school whose parents would religiously and relentlessly spray Sun-In to the hair of their offspring until they looked like something out of a GAP advert....I wasn't at all jealous of them, honest. Ahem. Damn my toddler-self for her long, stubborn brunette locks that wouldn't even hold a curl, let alone a colour. But yeah - back to the point. I bought the Loreal Preference Intense Ombre 104 which was £6.99 from Boots. It was pretty simple to follow, even for a hair colouring novice like me. I staggered my applications because I didn't want to end up with an obvious band of colour, I wanted it to be as gradual and natural looking as possible. I applied it in 3 stages: 40 minutes at the very bottom, 30 minutes for the next layer which I took a little higher, and finally 20 minutes for the rest, which I basically just brushed through at uneven lengths with the nifty little brush that came with the kit. The results? A fairly subtle tint of colour through my lengths which has freshened up my rather boring hairstyle. I won't lie -  my hair was a little dry (okay - frazzled is probably a more apt description) afterwards but to be fair, it was in desperate need of a trim anyway, I'm going to the hairdressers tomorrow so I'll give you her verdict on the damage - but for now, I'm happy with the finished product, and will most probably be buying another kit to take it a little lighter in a few weeks.
After my fun day of playing hairdresser, I went to watch my boyfriend's gig down the Brewhouse in Cardiff, which is a bit of a local gem in regard to discovering fresh and upcoming music from some of the local talent. It's free entry and they host an "originals" night every Sunday from 7pm, which is somewhat refreshing in comparison to the majority of venues which will only accommodate to cover bands - definitely worth a look if any of you are ever in the area. I wore a pretty basic outfit, which ended up having a fairly 90s vibe to it thanks to my new ASOS choker. I'm really enjoying the grunge vibe that ASOS are encapsulating into some of their pieces lately, I find this whole 90s revival utterly inspiring. This season's fashion has been one of the best for a while in my opinion. What do you all think?
Oh, and seems as I just randomly dropped the my-boyfriend-is-a-musician thing into this post, I should probably link his music in the hope that some rich and influential producer should happen to stumble across this post and give him a record deal, thus making me rich enough to afford a lovely new wardrobe. A girl can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Templates from pipdig