Monday 7 July 2014

Thighs & Tie Dye

Ah, Rat and Boa.....what would my wardrobe be like without you? I'm not sure that these photos really do a good job of showcasing this skirt, but I was rather limited with space to take photos...plus I didn't really feel like taking my camera out for a night out in Brighton - who knows what images would have been captured?! My guess is that it would have been something akin to the photo reel at the end of The Hangover. Anywho...this was another of my loose fitting outfits in a bid to reduce the pain of sunburn. The hat was added as something of an after thought - sunburn & straighteners are not a fun combination so I was forced to dig out the Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray and let my hair do its own thing. 




Hat - ASOS, Crop Top - Topshop, Skirt - Rat and Boa, Shoes - Primark, Watch - Marc Jacobs, Choker - ASOS, Necklace - Empty Casket


To be honest, this whole look panned out a little better than I was expecting considering I went for comfort and practicality above anything else. I think the best outfits are often the ones without too much thought behind them. I do, however, wish that my face had been a little less shiny, ha. I suppose there is only so much magic that make-up can do after a day of frying your skin though.

These photos were taken on our last night in Brighton, which was spent in an Open Mic night. I've mentioned before that my boyfriend is a singer/songwriter, so he got all excited when he saw a random advert for an Open Mic night just up the road from our hotel. Of course, I was forced to attend after dragging him around endless vintage boutiques and what not all week - but it surprisingly turned out to be one of the best nights of our "holiday". The Open Mic night in question was held in The Bee's Mouth - a bar I'd never even heard of. The bar itself was completely quirky and endlessly fascinating with an eccentric décor which manages to encapsulate both the weird and the wonderful; it just felt instantly cosy, particularly with the aromatic scent of burning incense in each of the dimly lit rooms. 





Anyway, as you can imagine, I get dragged to more than my fair share of Open Mic nights and music venues - and don't get me wrong, I really do love to hear new music from fresh talent; I find it both invigorating and inspiring. I love the sense of excitement that overcomes me when I hear something new which moves me in a way that radio simply can't. I feel lucky to be exposed to all of this raw talent; a musician's most honest and "real" material generally comes from the early part of their career before they get tweaked and refined to meet radio standards and regulations - there really is nothing better than seeing them in all their raw, vehement glory. The Bee's Mouth seemed to truly encapsulate everything that's good about live music; the amount of talent to be held within one small room was truly inspirational, and every single person there watching seemed to be truly interested and moved by each performance. Honestly, the vibe there was electric. I couldn't recommend it more as a venue - definitely worth a look if you ever find yourself in Brighton. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Templates from pipdig